Friday, March 9, 2007

But He's Only 10

By Chelsea

Myspace can be dangerous. If you are worried how to keep your kid safe on Myspace, you might want to read this. This is to the Parents. Have you ever thought of getting a Myspace to keep an eye on your child? Well if you have, you might want to consider it. For example, my mom got a Myspace. I didn't like the idea, but it made her feel better knowing she could see what I was doing.

Also, make sure your child has it on safe mode. There is a way to set your page so only your child and friends can see this page. While this is on safe mode, if anybody wants to add your child, the person must know your child’s last name or email address. For example, one of my friends wanted to add me. It wouldn’t let her because she didn’t know my email address. She also didn’t know how to spell my last name. So she called me and asked.

Finally, let your child know that you don’t have to add everybody that sends you a "friend request."  Let them know that if they don’t know the person, they can "deny" or "block" that person. There are a lot of people on Myspace. Some of them are bad. One day my brother wanted a Myspace because some of his friends have one. The thing is that he’s only 10. My dad said no. He said no “because you have to be 14 to get one and your only 10.” My brother got mad. But he got over it.

In collusion, you should consider getting a Myspace. Safe mode is the best why to go, if your child has a Myspace. Lastly, talk to them and tell them about not having to add everybody that sends a “friend request.”


technorati tags:, , ,

1 comment:

Paul Wilkinson said...

This is good advice Chelsea. I teach 10 -13 year olds in New Zealand and I've been looking for a safe online place for them to create their own web pages. If you have any suggestions for this age group I'd love to hear from you. We have our own web space but it is passworded completely so we can't advertise the url for you to have a look at it. I'd like to change this so they can create stuff to share with the world but still be safe.

Thanks for your blog.